What is an input device with an example?
Input devices are part of computer hardware devices used in information processing systems to send data and control signals and the interaction between computers and information devices. Examples of input devices include keyboards, mouse, scanners, Light Pen, Barcode reader digital cameras, joysticks, and microphones.
In other words, input devices are devices with which we can enter data or instructions on a computer. Input devices facilitate communication between computers and people. There are many input devices on the computer. What do these devices direct the computer’s brain that what to do? An input device is available in many forms, and all have specific targets. We have keyboards for typing by our instructions.
What are the different types of input devices?
The different types of input devices are listed below.
Computer keyboards are one of the primary input devices used most in computers. Entering large amounts of data using the keyboard is called input. An input device that allows you to enter letters, numbers, special characters, and other symbols into your computer.
For example, a keyboard is a combination of buttons called mechanical switches or “keys.” When one of these keys is pressed, the electrical circuit is closed and the keyboard sends certain signals to the computer, telling the computer what to display, such as letters, numbers, and symbols on the screen. The computer’s CPU displays the characters on the screen according to the instructions.
There are many keys to keyboards, depending on the function.
Key entry:-Basically enter keys including letters A-Z and numeric keys 0-9. Used to enter letters and numbers as input.
Function keys:-Each keyboard has a line of specific 12 function keys at the top of the keyboard. Each key has a unique meaning and is used for a specific reason.
Control keys:-Control keys include certain keys with unique features such as providing cursor and screen control. Basically, control key(Ctrl), Alternate (Alt), and Escape (Esc), Home, End, Insert, Delete, Page Up, Page Down,
Numeric keypad:-Basically used for entering numeric data and moving the cursor on a computer. Usually, this consists of a set of 17 keys, the same as a standard calculator as an extra key.
Special Purpose Keys:-The keyboard also includes some special purpose keys such as Enter, Shift, Caps Lock, Num Lock, Spacebar, Tab, Print Screen, etc. used for special purposes.
Different types of Keyboard:
- Flexible Keyboard.
- Wireless Keyboard.
- Internet Keyboard.
- Membrane Keyboard.
- Mechanical Keyboard.
- Virtual Keyboard
- Ergonomic Keyboard.
- Gaming Keyboard.
- Laptop Keyboard
- Projection Keyboard
- Smartphone and tablet keyboard.
How many types of keyboards are there?
There are two main types of computer keyboards.
1.Basic: -Basic keyboard has 104 keys, which is enough to perform all functions that can be performed on Windows PC.
2. Extended:- Extended keyboards have additional keys and there is a different design of keyboard depends on the company that manufactures them.
What are the 4 types of the keyboard?
There are 4 types of keyboard major used worldwide, but mainly more depending on the type of computer connector, size, number of keys, etc. Can be divided into different categories List is given below:-
The mouse is the most popular pointing device. This is a very well-known cursor control device, a small palm-shaped box with a round ball on the base that senses mouse movements and sends a signal to the CPU when the mouse button is pressed. Is configured. With the use of Mouse, You can also move and select text, icons, files, and folders on your computer.
There are usually two buttons, a left button, and a right button, with a wheel between the buttons. You can use the mouse to control the position of the cursor on the screen, but you cannot use the mouse to enter text on the computer.
What is the mouse used for?
The following is a list of mouse functions on your computer to help you understand everything the mouse can do.
- Move the mouse cursor-The The main function is to move the mouse pointer on the screen.
- Open or run a program-Move the pointer over an icon, folder, or another object, and then click or double-click that object to open the document or run the program.
- Select-With the mouse, you can also select text or files, or highlight and select multiple files at once.
- Drag and drop-Once you have selected something, you can also move it using drag and drop.
- Hover-Moving the mouse cursor over an object with hover information will help you find the function of each object on the screen. For example, hover your mouse over the hover link to see a sample.
- Scrolling-When working with long documents or viewing long web pages, you may need to scroll up and down. Use the mouse wheel to scroll, or click and drag the scroll bar.
- Perform other functions-Many desktop mice also have buttons that can be programmed to perform arbitrary functions. For example, most mouse thumbs have two side buttons, and the button closest to the palm can be programmed to return to a web page.
- Touchpad:-Laptops use the touchpad as a mouse. Smartphones and tablets use the touch screen as the primary input device, and the user’s finger is used as a mouse.
How many types of the mouse are there names them?:-
Basically There are three types of the mouse such as
2. Optical mouse.
A touch screen is a display device that allows the user to interact with the computer using a finger or stylus. Touch screens are used on a wide variety of devices, including computer and laptop displays, smartphones, tablets, cash registers, and information kiosks. Some touchscreens use a grid of infrared beams to feel the presence of a finger rather than using touch-sensitive input.
The most common features of the touch screen are given below:
- A single touch or Tap-single touches or taps the screen with your finger to open the application or select an object. When compared to a traditional computer, tapping is similar to clicking with a mouse.
- Double touch or tap – Double-tap or touch can have different functions depending on usage. For example, double-tapping the screen in the browser changes the view around the tap location. Double-tap in the text editor to select a word or section of words.
- Touch and hold function: Touch and hold function are used to highlight objects by holding your finger on the touch screen. For example, you can touch and hold an icon and drag it to another location on the screen. For more information on this term, see the long-press page.
- Drag:-If you hold your finger on a movable object such as a drag-icon, you can drag your finger to “drag” the object to another location. You can use the same action on the text to highlight the text. When you are finished walking or highlighting, release your finger.
- Swipe:- Swipe your finger across the screen to scroll or change pages in a particular direction. For example, if you press your finger at the bottom of the screen and quickly swipe up, the screen scrolls down. See the swipe page for more information and related links.
- Pinch-Place the two fingers in different places on the screen, then pin them to zoom in. Grasp your fingers and release each other to zoom out the screen.
A scanner is an electronic input device originally used for scanning. It is used to scan printed or handwritten text documents, pictures or specific objects and convert them into a digital file format. Most scanners available on the market use a charged coupled device or contact image sensor as an image sensor. Common types of scanners currently used are flatbed scanners, handheld scanners, and sheet-fed scanners.
For example, you can use a scanner to convert printed files, pictures or documents (hard copies) into digital files that you can edit on your computer.
How many types of scans are there?
- Flatbed scanner: The image (the image to be scanned) is placed in the glass pane. The sensor and light source moves across the glass pane and scans the document to make a digital copy.
- Sheetfed Scanner:-As the name itself suggests, this type of scanner sends documents to the horizontal or vertical slots provided there. In a sheet feed scanner, they are stationary as compare to Flatbed Scanner. Instead, the document goes through the scanner.
- Handheld scanner:– handheld scanners are small manual scanning devices that run on objects that need to be scanned.
- Drum scanner:-Drum scanners typically use a photomultiplier tube (PMT) to scan images instead of charge-coupled devices commonly used in flatbed scanners.
- Photo scanner:-As indicated by the name itself, photo scanners are mainly used to scan photographs. High resolution and color depth required for photo scanning.
- Film scanner:-Use a film scanner to scan the photographic film directly into your computer. The photographer has direct control over some aspects, such as the crop and the proportion of the original image on the film.
- Portable scanner:-Due to their small size, portable scanners are easy to carry. Some of these are as small as PDAs, so they can be kept in your pocket. Very useful when scanning text documents.
A microphone is a device that converts the vibrations of sound in the air into an electronic signal and engraves it onto the recording medium. With a microphone, you can use different types of audio recording devices, such as music and voice recordings, and different types of communication. Or, simply, a microphone is an input device that allows the user to input audio into a digital form in a computer and saves storage for later use. The first input device(Microphone) invented in 1877 by Emil Berlin.
The following is a shortlist of various uses for computer microphones.
- Audio for video
- Online chat
- Musical instrument recording
- Record audio for dictation, songs, and podcasts
- Voice recorder
- Computer games
- voice recognition
- VoIP – Voice over Internet Protocol
What type of microphone is available to use?
The following shows each type of microphone:-
- Unidirectional Microphone: -A one-way microphone is a microphone that can pick up sound only in one direction. This type of microphone is useful for recording only one thing, such as someone’s voice podcasts or stories.
- Double-sided Microphone: -A two-way microphone is a microphone that picks up sound equally from the front and back of the microphone. This type of microphone is a good microphone to use when interviewing people because you want to pick up sound from both the interviewer and the interviewer.
- Omnidirectional Microphone:-An omnidirectional microphone is a microphone that can pick up sound in all directions around the microphone. This type of microphone is used in the studio to record many people and equipment.
- Turn off talk Microphone:- Close talk microphones are microphones designed to bring someone’s mouth closer to the microphone without the noise associated with other microphones. This type of microphone is used in headsets and phones and is ideal for speech recognition software.
- Clip-on Microphone:-Clip-on microphones, also called lavalier microphones, are hands-free wireless microphones that clip to the user’s shirt.
Digital cameras are hardware devices that take pictures and store images as data in a memory card. Unlike analog cameras, which expose film chemicals to light, digital cameras use digital optics to record light intensity and color and convert it to pixel data. Many digital cameras record video as well as take pictures.
When a digital camera takes a picture, the picture is stored by a sensor called a “charge-coupled device” or CCD. Instead of storing images on the analog film like a traditional camera, digital cameras store photos in digital memory. Some digital cameras have built-in memory, but most use SD or compact flash cards. Many current models can also capture sound or video.
What are the main advantages of using a digital camera?
- LCD screen:-An LCD screen mounted on the back of the digital camera allows users to view photos and videos immediately after shooting. The LCD screen also makes it easy to frame your photos.
- Storage:-Digital cameras can store thousands of photos.
- Image development:-Digital camera photos can be developed like a standard film camera, but instead of processing the entire roll of film, you can choose which photos to develop.
- Shape:-Digital cameras do not require space for the film (not SLR), so they take up very little space and can easily be carried in your pocket or purse.
Barcode readers are hardware input devices that can read barcodes using a laser beam. A bar code reader (BCR) or scanner, also known as a point-of-sale (POS) scanner. You can also print product details and record information about the product in the database. A perfect example of a barcode reader is a supermarket barcode scanner that reads and records product prices.
You may also like these Topics:-
Biometrics is a hardware input device, used for measured physical or behavioral human features, which can be used to provide digital identification of humans and access to systems, devices, or data.These are examples of biometric identifiers, fingerprints, facial patterns, Hand scanner, speech or typing rhythms. Each of the identifiers is considered unique and can be used in combination to detect high accuracy.
Different types of Biometrics Devices:-
- Fingerprints Scanner: -A biometric fingerprint scanner, identifies a person with a fingerprint. These are safe ways to identify individuals
- Hand scanner -The biometric hand scanner identifies people with palms. Like fingerprints, palm your hand is also unique.
- Face scanner – A biometric face scanner that measures a person’s face and identifies a person.
- Retina Scanner or Iris Scanner:– A biometric retinal scanner or iris scanner identifies a person by scanning the iris or retina of the eye. These scanners are a more secure biometric scheme than other devices because there is no known method of replicating the retina or iris.
- Speech Scanners:- Finally, speech analysis scanners are mathematically decomposed and identify human voices. While these scanners can help increase security, you can use tape recording to bypass less sophisticated scanners.
A joystick is an input device that controls a computer program character or machine, such as a flight simulator aircraft. Similar to the control devices found in arcade games, but most often include additional buttons for additional features. Or simply, a joystick is an input device consisting of a rod fixed to a base and reports the device controlling its angle or direction. Joystick, also known as the control column.
C.B. Mirick invented the first joystick, studied at the United States Naval Research Institute and patented it in 1926.
Joysticks are often used to control video games and usually have one or more pushbuttons, the position of which can also be read by a computer. Analog sticks are a common form of joystick used in modern video game consoles. Joysticks are also used to control machines such as cranes, trucks, underwater unmanned vehicles, wheelchairs, surveillance cameras, etc.
A light pen computer input device consisting of a light-sensitive stick-shape used with a computer cathode ray tube (CRT) display.
This allows the user to point to the displayed object and drag it across the screen in a similar way to the touch screen, but with better positioning accuracy. Light pens can be used with any CRT-based display,
When the light pen is scanned by the CRT electron beam, it detects changes in the brightness of nearby screen pixels and informs the computer of the time of the event. Because the CRT scans the entire screen one pixel at a time, the computer can track the approximate time to scan various locations on the screen with a beam and detect the position of the pen from the latest timestamp.
Light pens were originally developed around 1955 and were more used in graphics terminals in the 1960s.
A stylus is an input device that is a small pen-type device that can detect the tip position of a screen on a touch screen. It is used to select and draw devices with touch screens such as computers, mobile devices such as smartphones and personal digital assistant game consoles and graphics tablets. Typically, the touch screen can be run with the fingertip, but the stylus provides more precision. And controllable input. The stylus has a pointing device similar to a mouse or trackpad. Its use is commonly called pen computing.
Different styles are used for resistive and capacitive touch screens. But on mobile phones, most capacitive screens are very widely used.
A webcam is an input device camera that connects to a computer. Capture still images or videos with the help of software and broadcast the video in real-time over the Internet. In other words, a webcam is a video camera that feeds or transmits photos and videos to another person on the Internet in real-time or through a computer network such as the Internet. Web cameras are typically small cameras that sit at a desk, connect to a user’s monitor, or are integrated into hardware. Webcams can be used during video chat sessions between two or more users, such as live audio and live video.
The first widely released webcam was XCfish, also known as the Trojan Room Coffee Pot. The camera began operations in 1991 in collaboration with Quentin Stafford Fraser and Paul Jardsky. Then, in November 1993, the camera was connected to the Internet, in collaboration with Daniel Gordon and Martin Johnson.
A remote is an input electronic device that uses a control or clicker to remotely operate another device. A hardware device that simply allows a user to control a device or object elsewhere. For example, you can use your TV’s remote control to change channels, change the volume, or turn your TV on or off without leaving your position. Zenith’s Dr. Robert Adler invented the first cordless TV remote in 1956.
I hope you enjoyed my article on “What is Input devices and Types of Input devices” It has always been my effort to provide readers with complete information about “What is Input devices” .so that they do not have to search in the context of this article on any other website or internet.
This will also save time and they will also get all the information in one place. If you have any questions about this article or would like it to improve, then note the comments. If you liked this post about “What is Input devices and Types of Input devices” is or learned something from, share it on social networks like Facebook, and Twitter, etc.